Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> And who supports their own hardware at all? Opensource-ness is immaterial
> here, ATI doesn't have *any* drivers which would work in F12, for their
> own latest&greatest graphics card.

Who cares? That card is too expensive anyway! At an Austrian price
comparison site (but I doubt it's very different elsewhere), the cheapest
card with that Radeon HD 5970 costs EUR 529.20!!! The cheapest supported
model is an X1550 at EUR 20.40, the next cheapest an HD 3450 (should work
with mesa-dri-drivers-experimental) at EUR 22.10. Even an HD 4350 (should
also work with mesa-dri-drivers-experimental) can be had at only EUR 24.48.
(Note: Those are all PCI-Express cards.) Those cards are over 20 times
cheaper! And they're also passively cooled, so you also save power (and thus
even more money) and noise. And the chip itself probably also draws less
power. Why throw out EUR 500 + energy costs + your freedom just to have the
latest?

        Kevin Kofler