Re: Blacklisting Nouveau

Roger wrote:
> Please explain how Nouveau is the best. Read my comments below before
> responding!

It's the best available in Free Software. The nvidia driver is NOT Free
Software. Fedora supports Free Software and ONLY Free Software. So we ship
Nouveau.

> May I suggest you visit the Blender.org site and research the hundreds,
> if not thousands of ways 3D is used and required.
> As 3D is a requirement for serious and conceptual archeitectural,
> engineering, scientific, marine and landscape design, Ot University and
> others use 3D for graphics as do many many commercial advertising
> companies. Please explain why these should be disregarded due to
> difficult installation requirements.
>
> We are succeeding in getting more users over to Linux and Open Source
> than ever before.
> Please explain the above which comment suggests that we should forgo
> these because one Open Source application is not up to scratch.
> That is unacceptable.

You don't need to forgo 3D software, you just need to choose supported
hardware, which is basically everything not made by NVidia (OK, there's also
the Intel GMA500 "Poulsbo" netbook graphics chip and ATI Radeon HD >= 5000
(r8xx, codename "evergreen") chips which are not supported at this time, but
everything else made by Intel and ATI/AMD in the last few years has working
3D support in the Free drivers).

        Kevin Kofler