Testing sound?

The sound on my Thinkpad T43 (model 1871-12G) sometimes works,
and sometimes does not work.
I think this has something to do with Suspend to Disk.

However, I'm not really asking about this,
but rather: Is there a simple way of testing if sound is working?

I'm running Fedora-12/KDE, and looked at System Settings=>
Look and Feel=>Notifications ,
but did not really understand how one is supposed to use this.

Is there a simple command-line test for sound?

Shouldn't there be a test somewhere in KMix
since there seem to be a billion choices there?

The only test I have found is to put in a CD and run Amarok,
but I am sure there is something simpler than that?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net