Re: F8: CPAN problem

On 01/28/2010 05:25 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 17:03 -0800, Dan Thurman wrote:
>
>> Now, I can proceed to figure out how to complete my original intent:
>> to add maildir support to sendmail (as opposed to just installing and
>> using Postfix) as I want the sub-directory feature from which dovecot
>> IMAP gladly supports instead of using the mbox format, which is
>> directory 1-level limited.
>>
> Dovecot is separate from sendmail.  You don't need to do anything to
> sendmail to be able to store your mail using maildir with Dovecot.  Your
> inbox that you get mail from isn't the same location Dovecot leaves
> things.

Yes, dovecot is just am IMAP server, but the problem is, that
sendmail by default uses the mbox format.  From what I read,
it says that you need procmail or other method to convert the
mbox format into maildir format - which is the part - that I have
yet to understand how this is actually done.

Do you have a no-nonsense link somewhere where I can get
the mbox format converted over into maildir format?

>From the configuration file of /etc/dovecot.conf, it says:
#======================================================
##
## Mailbox locations and namespaces
##

# Location for users' mailboxes. This is the same as the old
default_mail_env
# setting. The default is empty, which means that Dovecot tries to find the
# mailboxes automatically. This won't work if the user doesn't have any mail
# yet, so you should explicitly tell Dovecot the full location.
#
# If you're using mbox, giving a path to the INBOX file (eg. /var/mail/%u)
# isn't enough. You'll also need to tell Dovecot where the other
mailboxes are
# kept. This is called the "root mail directory", and it must be the first
# path given in the mail_location setting.
#
# There are a few special variables you can use, eg.:
#
#   %u - username
#   %n - user part in user@domain, same as %u if there's no domain
#   %d - domain part in user@domain, empty if there's no domain
#   %h - home directory
#
# See <doc/wiki/Variables.txt> for full list. Some examples:
#
#   mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
#   mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
#   mail_location = mbox:/var/mail/%d/%1n/%n:INDEX=/var/indexes/%d/%1n/%n
#
# <doc/wiki/MailLocation.txt>
#
mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
#======================================================

So, on Fedora, sendmail deposits "mbox" into: /var/mail/%u

I tried:

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

and it does NOT work, perhaps because no mail as specified in the
user's home directory.... there... so I think there needs to be *something*
that converts the data into maildir format and the reason why I wanted
the maildir format, is it allows for sub-directory creation (instead of
a flat,
one-directory, structure) using an IMAP client, such as Thunderbird, which
I use.

At least, this is why from what I read, need procmail to do the conversion?

Am I missing something?