RFC about socket/cores numbers and HT info

Hello,
after digging around different systems (Fedora, RHEL) and mailing
lists suggestions I arrived at this script about identifying on a
system:
- number of sockets
- number of cores per socket
- number of logical processors (so computational units) seen by OS
- info about presence/enablement of HT if present

I would like to share and ask 2 things:
a) what about the script accuracy?
Can you verify with your hw setup/config?
b) Do you think there is any way to enumerate the number of physical
sockets of a system based only on values in cpuinfo and not using
dmidecode command? I have a system (not under my control) that
collects nmon values only for many servers and I would like to be able
to get the number of sockets ion them based on this info...
In nmon output I find, other than the cpuinfo info, only something like
AAA,cpus,4,4
But it seems quite static where the two numerical values are identical.

Thanks in advance,
Gianluca