Re: deltarpms and newer kernels

On Sat, 2010-01-23 at 22:16 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Not sure if I understand it correctly, but anyway... The kernel is not
> being updated, but rather installed concurrently with other kernels.
> So you cannot create a delta rpm for it, since there is a completely
> new rpm coming with each kernel. If kernel was supposed to be
> *updated* then maybe you could create a delta, but if you want to
> *install* it (from scratch, as is done in Fedora), then delta will not
> help.

Even for concurrently installed packages, it could still be possible to
make a delta that has all the changes needed since the previously
installed kernel.  However, there might well be so many changes, that
there's no significant benefit.  And, for the kernel, that would seem to
be the case.  Just listing the contents of the last kernel package, it's
full of files specific to that particular kernel, I can't see any files
that would be common to another kernel.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686