Re: deltarpms and newer kernels

On Saturday 23 January 2010 21:55:21 Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Deltarpms does help a little bit with many packages, but the kernel is not
>  one of them :(
>
> kernel-devel, kernel-headers, kernel-firmware, etc do work though, how come
>  kernel package is not the same?

Not sure if I understand it correctly, but anyway... The kernel is not being
updated, but rather installed concurrently with other kernels. So you cannot
create a delta rpm for it, since there is a completely new rpm coming with
each kernel. If kernel was supposed to be *updated* then maybe you could
create a delta, but if you want to *install* it (from scratch, as is done in
Fedora), then delta will not help.

And if you want to have multiple kernels available simultaneously (in contrast
to SuSE), you need to *install* each of them, not update from one to another.

As for the presto and delta rpms, it typically saves 60-90% of my bandwidth
with each update, and works flawlessly. Developers did a fantastic job! :-)

Best, :-)
Marko