Creative Zen:M - Data Transfers

Greetings,

I have a 30 GB Creative Zen:M, an older generation PMP (Personal Media
Player), which I purchased in 2006. It continutes to function very well.

However, I've encountered some issues in doing data transfers to (not
from) the device.

Until recently, I've used gnomad2 for loading the device with mp3s.
However, when I load the device with images by way of gnomad2's data
transfer function, gnomad2 tends to crash after loading two directories of
files. As a consequence, the xml file on the Creative Zen:M doesn't get
properly re-written and the device's folders don't show the image files
that have been loaded. Only after starting gnomad2 again and then exiting
from gnomad2 (File->Quit) does the device get properly sync'd.

Starting with recent releases of Fedora (F10?), I've noticed that when I
plug the Creative Zen:M into my machine by way of a USB port, a Gnome-file
window pane opens. And the device's contents are displayed correctly.

I can copy files from the Creative Zen:M to my local drives.

When I try to copy files to the Zen:M after creating target directories on
the device, those files are not visible on the device, even though they
are visible in the gnome-file window pane.

Likewise, those files are not visible on the device using gnomad2.

All that said, it looks that there has been no new development of gnomad2
since the end of 2008; so the crashes will probably continue.

So, Is there a successful way of copying files to the device using
the gnome-file window panes?

Lastly, in order to use gnomad2, the Zen:M needs to be unmounted first
from Gnome, either by right-clicking on the icon on the Desktop or by
File->Unmount in the appropriate gnome file window pane.

However, when the Zen:M is visible in gnome, there is no way of seeing the
device in xterm when issuing a df -k. Is there something available that
can offer some information as to how the device is communicating with the
system and is there a way of viewing the Creative Zen:M from an xterm
session?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Max Pyziur
pyz@xxxxxxxxx