Re: Best way to troubleshoot intermittant lockups on F12

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:55:41 -0700
Mark Goldberg <marklgoldberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > On Friday 22 January 2010 16:07:10 Mark Goldberg wrote:
> >> I have an F12 installation that experiences intermittent lockups,
> >> usually at times of heavy usage.
> >> The system just locks up solid, keyboard and mouse are non responsive.
> >
> > Telnet? Why telnet?
>
> It is easy to telnet in from a local machine and administer it from there.
> >
> > I would check for the following:
> > * ssh from the remote machine --- this checks the extent of lockup. It may
> > well be just X locking up, while kernel is still alive and well. That would be
> > the issue with graphics hardware/drivers.
>
> I think the telneting in is equivalent. It is not completely dead, but
> can't even
> finish a login.
>
> > * reproduce the problem with a LiveCD, prefferably different distro --- this
> > checks for hardware vs. software fault. If for ex. Knoppix locks up too, it's
> > definitely a hardware issue, independent on the OS in use.
>
> It is a new Motherboard and I imaged a disk from a backup with Knoppix
> 6.2 with no
> problems. That does not prove anything because F12 can run for days with no
> problems and then crash three times in a day.
>
> > * if it's a hardware issue --- upgrade power supply, downclock the processor,
> > change the motherboard, remove components from the box one by one until you
> > find the culprit.
>
> This is a Mythtv box, all the slots are full of tuners, SATA
> controllers, Video, etc.
> I know any of them could be the culprit. The only thing being used early in the
> morning when it crashes is the cpu, hard disk and network during h.264 encoding.
>
> I've done some of this. I ran several processor stress tests and it can go to
> 15% overclock before it starts to have problems.
>
> > * if it's a Fedora issue --- boot with nomodeset kernel option, disable ACPI,
> > change graphics drivers, boot older kernel, try to narrow down the app that
> > triggers the lockup...
>
> It has happened with several F12 kernels. I'll try some of the other
> options you listed.

Just out of curiosity:
* what is your video card? (as reported by lspci)
* could you please boot with the "nomodeset" option and see if it fixes it?
* could you also try a 2.6.32 from Koji? They are not production-ready, but seem
  to fix a random crash I encountered twice, possibly related to firefox.