Re: Fedora 12 on ati radeon laptop

2010/1/19 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 01/19/2010 05:06 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
>>>
>>>        I have F11 installed on my ASUS laptop and used to use the fglrx
>>> drivers for it (Mobility Radeon X1600) on FC6 and F9.  As of F11, fglrx
>>> is no longer available.  ATI/AMD have renamed it catalyst, and it no
>>> longer supports the older cards that used to need fglrx.  What I can
>>
>> Don't you mean fglrx/catalyst is not available for Fedora 12? The OP
>> can also try
>> mesa-dri-drivers-experimental if he chooses to stay with open source drivers.
>
> Catalyst is supposed to be available from RPMFusion repo.  Since I don't
> need it for my F12 system, I have no idea if it is available for F12 or
> not.  I'm pretty sure it is available for F11, but I don't have
> rpmfusion configured on my F12 machine.

I use the catalyst drivers from RPMFusion for F11, but because of some
incompatibility of the proprietary drivers with the kernel (or Xorg
version, don't remember which) RPMFusion can't package them for F12. I
haven't upgraded to F12 as I need 3D support and my hardware is one of
the newer generation RV770.

So in conclusion, if the OP wants to use Catalyst he has to stick with
F11 or use the open drivers (maybe with mesa-dri-drivers-experimental)
if he wishes to use F12.

I hope this clears my comment in the previous post. :)

--
Suvayu