Re: Dual Monitor Question

On Tuesday 19 January 2010 00:15:43 Matt Smith wrote:
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon
> X300 (PCIE)]

Ok, as far as I know, this card should be supported by the open-source radeon
driver. The other choice would be the ATI closed-source fglrx (or Catalyst, or
whatever it is called now) driver, but I am not sure that it works with
current Fedora.

I'll try to help you set up the radeon driver, but we need to do it step by
step. (and you'll have a chance to learn a bit about Linux as we go... :-)
...)

> Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
> default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
>    1280x1024       0.0*
>    1024x768        0.0
>    800x600         0.0
>    640x480         0.0

This shows that X (the graphics server in Linux) apparently doesn't know about
the details of your graphics card, and uses some default settings. My guess is
that it uses the vesa driver (this is a typical fallback if X doesn't have a
better driver). Once we fix the driver, the output of xrandr should be different
and more elaborate.

> finally when i typed in "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" I got the following
>
> [root@Matt ~]# /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> -bash: /var/log/Xorg.0.log: Permission denied

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The /var/log/Xorg.0.log is the file
named Xorg.0.log, and it resides in the /var/log directory on the disk. Typing
its name as you did in the terminal will attempt to execute it, and will fail
because the file is not executable. Rather, this is a log of the X server
events --- a text file, which can be read using a text editor.

So, if you wish to see the contents of the file (just for fun), you can open
some text editor (find one in the menus), then open that file from within the
editor --- choose to open a file, navigate to /var/log directory and select
Xorg.0.log file to open and read. If you wish to use a terminal, you would type

less /var/log/Xorg.0.log

to display its contents (use arrow keys or PageUp/PageDown to move through the
file, type q to exit the less program).

More importantly, you should attach the file to the e-mail and send it to the
list, so we can examine it. I see that you are using gmail account for e-mail
--- open a reply to the list, and use the "attach" option in gmail to attach
it (a file-chooser should open for you to pick a file, navigate to /var/log
directory and select it, or type /var/log/Xorg.0.log in the "location" field).

N.B. The file chooser displays the contents of your home directory, by default.
In the Linux file hierarchy, there is the root directory named /  which is
analogous to C: in windows, and holds various other directories, like /var and
/home. Your home directory is  /home/yourusername/  and its contents is
displayed in the file chooser. You need to go "up" in the directory tree from
that point (twice) to get to the /  directory, and then "down" to var and then
log (which is inside var). In there you will find the Xorg.0.log file. I hope
you won't have trouble finding it.

Once I examine the log file, I should be able (hopefully) to tell you what to
do to fix the video driver. :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko

P.S. Please don't top-post on this list. Here it is custom to bottom-post, ie.
put your reply *below* the text you quote in the e-mail, possibly deleting
non-relevant parts of the quote along the way. Personally I don't mind if you
top-post, but some other people might object. This is explained (among other
things) in the list guidelines,

which you might wish to read eventually. :-)