Re: Dual Monitor Question

Matt, first of all, welcome to the Linux community! :-)

On Monday 18 January 2010 17:52:56 Matt Smith wrote:
> this is the message i get when trying to run system-config-display after
> installing it

It is a good idea not to rely on GUI tools, especially when troubleshooting
something.

This is how I would proceed --- plug in all monitors you have, open a terminal
(xterm, konsole, shell, any such will do), and type:

lspci | grep VGA

(and press the enter/return key) to find out exactly what video hardware is
being detected. Feel free to copy&paste the above command into a terminal, if
you don't feel like typing. Then copy&paste the output of that when replying
here.

Second, type

xrandr

into the terminal, and copy&paste that output also into a reply.

Once we have that information, we can tell you if any drivers need to be
installed and how, and what to do to enable both monitors. Also, feel free to
attach the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to the message --- it might look cryptic to
you at first, but it is an ultimate information source about what is going on
with your display. It contains a lot of useful info (once you get accustomed
to reading it).

HTH, :-)
Marko

P.S. Since you are a newcomer to Linux, keep in mind that CLI (command line
interface) terminals and shells are a Good Thing --- they can save a lot of
time and grief, and are ultimately used when all GUI's fail... :-) The faster
you learn to use the terminal (or at least get comfortable with the idea of
using it) the easier you will learn Linux. And soon enough you will also find
out that terminal is way more powerful than any GUI. This is a big change of
perspective compared to Windows (where the MS-DOS prompt is useful only to a
small minority of know-how people), and one of the first things newcomers
typically stumble upon. ;-)