[MOSTLY SOLVED] Re: Using xandr -- Re: problems with system-config-display and crtl-alt-backspace

Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:

>>> I captured the output of both /var/log/Xorg.0.log and xrandr when
>>> booting up with the KVM pointed to the machine ("*__FOCUS") and pointed
>>> to another machine (actually, a turned-off machine) ("*__NO_FOCUS)
>>>

>> Yes, well, from the logs it is evident that the monitor gets properly
>> detected in both cases (when in focus and when not), but the
>> resolution chosen (automatically) when not in focus is wrong,
>> 800x600. This is probably some artifact of the interaction with KVM.
>> Not sure precisely where is the problem, though.
>>

>>> I read the xrandr and "think" that what I want to do is (based on the
>>> example "Forces to use a 1024x768 mode on an output called VGA ..."):
>>>
>>> xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1680x1050
>>>

>> Yes, that should be it. Try it out and see if it works. You should
>> probably try it both when in focus and when not. It just might happen
>> that the system refuses to give you 1680x1050 when not in focus, so
>> in that case you should manually switch the resolution every time you
>> get focus (with the above command).
>>

>>> If presume that this stays with the machine and is not session based
>>> (don't know where the info goes, don't know if I care).
>>>

>> No, AFAIK xrandr is interactive and does not store the settings
>> anywhere. If you want the settings to stick, you can either use
>> xorg.conf, or create a script (with the above command inside) and
>> execute it whenever necessary --- after login, or after getting
>> focus, or whenever the resolution isn't correct...
>>

>>> My other question is I noticed that I seem to be hooked up so my single
>>> monitor is coming out of DVI-I-1 and not DVD-I-0.
>>>

>> It appears you have two DVI outputs on your graphics card, but only
>> one is connected to a monitor. I guess that the outputs are
>> equivalent and either can be used, but if you want to test it, just
>> plug in the cable in the other connector. :-) Anyway, I believe this
>> should not matter much.
>>
>> Best, :-)
>> Marko
>>

> Marko:
>
> Thanks for the multiple confirms of questions, I'll give it a try now
> that I know what I was going to do isn't horribly wrong.
>
> Paul

I tried out a couple of combinations and know that
1) the xrandr command does work
2) switching video to DVI-I-0 shows the same "kvm lack-of-focus" problem
which xrandr fixed
3) after scanning web and etc/rc.d files, it seemed to me that I should
have been able to put this xrandr command in rc.local and have it occur
when the boot is finished ---  did not work (but, since I have to have
the kvm pointed elsewhere to test, not certain if my test is valid)

It would seem to me that there should be a way I can have the boot
process look to the info from xrandr and set itself to the "+" setting,
but I can't figure out a way. I know its been an issue for many Fedoras
/ RHELs which ctrl+alt+backspace at the gui login splash would solve,
but f12 seems to only let me get that feature back once I have logged in
(and kicking the display and getting an X restart once logged in isn't
as clean as the xrandr command once logged in).

Thanks for help,
Paul