Re: Using xandr -- Re: problems with system-config-display and crtl-alt-backspace

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
On Tuesday 05 January 2010 14:21:19 Robert Moskowitz wrote:
On 01/05/2010 05:39 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
Sorry to jump in this thread, but have you tried to use xrandr to set up
the resolution you want? That way you don't need to generate xorg.conf,
and can convince X to give you any resolution you want (if supported by
hardware).
[...]
Post the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log, so we can see what is the problem with autodetection of the external display, and your desired configuration, and then we'll see what is the best way to fix it.

HTH, :-)
Marko

Marko:

I captured the output of both /var/log/Xorg.0.log and xrandr when
booting up with the KVM pointed to the machine ("*__FOCUS") and pointed
to another machine (actually, a turned-off machine) ("*__NO_FOCUS)

Pretty clear to me that its doing a "default" lower res setting if it
doesn't see the monitor during the boot.

I read the xrandr and "think" that what I want to do is (based on the
example "Forces to use a 1024x768 mode on an output called VGA ..."):

xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1680x1050

If presume that this stays with the machine and is not session based
(don't know where the info goes, don't know if I care).

I wanted to check to see if I am understanding xrandr correctly and if
all I need is this one command since it already knows about DVD-I-1 and
the 1680x1050 resolution.

My other question is I noticed that I seem to be hooked up so my single
monitor is coming out of DVI-I-1 and not DVD-I-0. Haven't had any
problems with such, so I am assuming either DVI can be used if there is
only one monitor. But I thought I would ask in case there is something I
don't know about the system which would want me to move to DVI-I-0.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

ps: attachments enclosed ... first time rejected as I forgot to gzip ... do I tarballed and gzipped them up, hope this is acceptable for second try.