Re: Bug triage resulting in no fixes

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 14:53:51 -0500,
  Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't know how to put this any better, the 1st bug is in NEEDINFO, the
> 2nd bug actually has the info, and what happens is that the 2nd bug is
> marked DUPLICATE, while the 1st remains NEEDINFO. New bugs with active
> reporters will be marked DUPLICATE, no progress is made.

We agree that is a problem. Just because you have seen this happen, doesn't
mean this is how it is supposed to happen or how it should happen.

> And currently you can have that one bug blocked until the next version
> comes out and the bug is closed for lack of response. As long as the
> oldest bug is NEEDINFO having two bugs is better than one which will not
> move forward to a solution.

I disagree. There should be just one bug, that should properly contain all
of the relevant information. If this is a systemic problem, then it is
something that should be brought to the attention of the triaging people
so that they have the opportunity to either change or better document how
dupilcates of tickets in NEEDINFO should be handled.

> I agree my proposed solution is not optimal, but having a path which
> leads to a bug not only not moving but blocking all other reporters is a
> sure path to not getting bugs fixed. If a NEEDINFO hasn't been answered
> in a few days, the reporter is unlikely to move forward.

We agree there is brokeness with what you saw happen.