Re: Bug triage resulting in no fixes

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:35:11 -0500,
  Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I note that bugs are being marked as duplicates without regard to
> anything but age. This results in blocked bugs never getting fixed:
>   abrt reports a bug, like crashes in metacity
>   bug is reassigned to pulseaudio
>   PA asks for glibc version
>   bug is marked as NEEDINFO - and if the submitter doesn't respond there
> it dies
>   abrt reports a bug from another submitter
>   2nd report gets request for glibc version
>   2nd submitter provides same
>   triage comes along and marks 2nd bug DUP of 1st and closes
>   now both reports, and any subsequest reports are hung on the 1st

If the first bug was closed because of a lack of response to needinfo,
then when the dup was assigned to it, it should have been reopened. And
if it was clear to the triager that the same infomation was going to be
needed by the new reporter, a needinfo request to them should have been made.

> Suggestion:
>   do not mark anything as a dup of a bug which is in NEEDINFO status

This isn't a good solution to the problem. You really want one bug for each
problem.