Re: 36 or 64 bit?

2010/1/16 Jean Francois Martinez <jfm512@xxxxxxx>:
> No it isn't.  In 32 bits mode the processor only has a paltry eight
> registers and in addition it is limited to a brain damaged stack model
> for floating point.  In 64 bits  it has sixteen registers and possibly,
> not sure about it, a healthier floating point model.

Which is why I wrote: "There are some advantages..."

> So out of curiosity I converted flac to ogg in both modes and it is 30%
> faster in 64 bits

Well, it would be.  That would come under the part about "manipulating
large chunks of data that can be processed 64 bits at a time instead
of 32."

But all that is beside the point.  The original query was about
drivers that were clearly broken in the 64bit version but potentially
OK in the 32bit version and not whether 64bit was better than 32bit.
That's why I suggested using the 32bit version as a workaround,
ideally using a Live CD before re-installating in case it was broken
as well, and wait for the bugs to be squished.

The bit about 32bit vs 64bit was just to make the point that for many
"everyday" tasks the advantages of 64bit are not all that great.  The
flipside of that is, of course, that if you do a lot of the things
that 64bit is better for (converting audio data between formats, for
instance) then the disadvantages of 64bit, such as those pointed out
by Jerry, are not that great either.  For the record, I run 64bit
versions of both Linux and Windows (I need Creative Suite for myself &
Office for work) and wouldn't want to have it any other way.

--
Andy

The only person to have all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe