Re: Who do I file this bug with ?!?

On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 09:23 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> >
> > I wasn't sure of the right term to use.  I just meant changed.
> >
> If the IP address of a remote system has changed it most likely has to
> do with where it gets its IP address.  That would raise questions about
> the dhcp server.  But, I feel that multiple observations are being
> stated as well as multiple supposed problems.

I maybe wrong, but I understood the dhcp server was on my router/modem
as a static address.  I checked my router by using firefox and
192.168.1.1 address.  It gave me a setup/data table where I confirmed
that the remote machines address was now 192.168.1.2.  Why this changed
I don't know.

> I think you are trying to solve a "slow boot" problem....but may be
> intertwining it with other things.

The slow boot problem was incidental to my vnc problem.

> In any event....
> >
> >> Also, I avoid looking at network problems when folks obscure
> >> their IP addresses.
> >>

> > Wasn't trying to obscure my IP address.  I thought it was an acceptable
> > short form for " from 192.168.1.7 to 192.168.1.2 ".  I have seen others
> > use it.
> >
> Using shorthand would presume that everyone uses it.  I feel that if one
> is going to use shorthand it is "ok" as long as they first indicate it
> first.  For example, if I use an acronym  I should first do something
> like "Free Trade Agreement  (FTA)".  This lets people know what FTA will
> mean from now on.  Same with IP address....

Ok.  I understand the principle.  In fact, I have lectured at people
myself about misusing acronyms.  I didn't realize that my use of ...1.2
fell into that category.  I won't do it again.

> > >From the earlier response:
> >

> >> ]# service vncserver status
> >> Xvnc (pid 3327) is running..
> >>

> > You asked if I would turn off vncserver, which I did.  I then examined
> > and copied the new boot log.  You also asked if I could then get it
> > restarted after logging in which I did.  That was the point of the
> > "service vncserver status".
> >
> OK.  Hope you track down what the error messages in the boot log were
> all about at some point.

I moved /etc/modprobe.conf aside and all the warnings have gone away.  I
am not sure where the modprobe.conf file came from.  The file was empty.
It could be left over from Fedora 11 -- but then why I got a warning
just today is a mystery.

> >> FWIW, you can always hit "escape" at the start of the boot process and
> >> watch all the messages.  When/if the process stalls you'll know where
> >> it is happening.
> >>

> > I did "escape" on a restart.  It stalled for several long seconds at
> > "starting sendmail      OK" and,
> > "starting sm-client  OK"
> >
> > I don't know what that could mean.  How would sendmail be related to vnc
> > etc.?
> >
> The pause at sendmail and sm-client normally have to do with DNS
> requests.  If it is only several seconds (don't know what a long second
> is...  :-) :-) )  then it is probably not an issue.

As you say, it could be subjective.  A long second is like a couple of
minutes.  A couple of minutes is supposed to mean two minutes, but most
people use it to mean some number of minutes greater than one.  A long
second is several seconds but less than sixty.

> > I very much appreciate the help.
> >
> I really don't know if you have any boot problems.  The time it takes to
> boot is often a subjective observation and unless you've quantified how
> long it used to take and how long it now takes it really is difficult to
> determine what it "should" be.
>
> If the only pause you've noticed was at sendmail and sm-client then
> chances are things are running pretty good.

It still feels like a much longer startup.

Ah! Solved it (teh delay that is).  My stupidity.  In my frustration, I
added the local machine to the system-configure-network DNS tab.  I know
it won't work -- but dumb frustration.  And, then I forgot to remove it.
A quick look at messages reminded me.  Now its gone and booting is fine.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 12, Gnome 2.28