Re: initializing a blank DVD+R disk?

On 01/11/2010 03:36 PM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
> On 01/11/2010 04:09 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Stuart McGraw wrote:
>>> How does one write a iso filesystem onto a blank DVD+R disk
>>> without writing any files, and leaving the DVD writable (i.e,
>>> not finalized if that this the right term)?
>>
>> Growisofs with -Z option writes the first session, with -M writes the rest of
>> the sessions.
>
> Ah, ok.  I had tried the -Z option with a small file and
> thought I ended up with a finalized disk because bacula
> reported the disk had 0 bytes of free space left.  But I
> may have misinterpreted what I was seeing (or its message
> may have been bogus.)

Note that the command was "-Z /dev/dvd -R -J /file /file ..."

That's different than "-Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/isoimage" which WILL
close the session.  In other words, if there's an "=" in the
command, the session will close as it will write the disk with the
image AND fill it out with zeroes after to close the session.

>> My feeling is that writing an empty filesystem on a media buys
>> nothing and that's why there's no neat command to do it. If you don't want to
>> write data then why write anything?
>
> Because it's not me but the backup program that wants
> to write to the DVD and (I think) it wants a mounted
> DVD to write to.  However, looking at another source of
> info, I may be wrong about that too.
>
> Thanks for the info.

You might want to take a look at the options for wodim as well,
specifically the "-multi" and "-nofix" options.