Re: initializing a blank DVD+R disk?

On 01/11/2010 04:09 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Stuart McGraw wrote:
>> How does one write a iso filesystem onto a blank DVD+R disk
>> without writing any files, and leaving the DVD writable (i.e,
>> not finalized if that this the right term)?
>
> Growisofs with -Z option writes the first session, with -M writes the rest of
> the sessions.

Ah, ok.  I had tried the -Z option with a small file and
thought I ended up with a finalized disk because bacula
reported the disk had 0 bytes of free space left.  But I
may have misinterpreted what I was seeing (or its message
may have been bogus.)

> My feeling is that writing an empty filesystem on a media buys
> nothing and that's why there's no neat command to do it. If you don't want to
> write data then why write anything?

Because it's not me but the backup program that wants
to write to the DVD and (I think) it wants a mounted
DVD to write to.  However, looking at another source of
info, I may be wrong about that too.

Thanks for the info.