Re: Fwd: bluebirds anyone?

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 09:12:37AM -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
> second post the first seems to have been lost.
>
> Dave
>

> --
> "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick
> society."
>   Krishnamurti

> Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 15:33:28 -0800
> From: Dave Stevens <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: bluebirds anyone?
>
> A few weeks ago I swapped out my old HP optical drive and installed a
> new LG unit. It works ok, but since I added it to my F11 box I have a
> persistent phantom disk called "bluebirds" on my desktop. It shows
> four files (autorun.inf, setup.exe, bluebirds.exe and drag&burn.exe).
> There is not any medium in the drive. Odd, eh?

Dunno if this relates or not, but I was recently reading LG optical
drive reviews on NewEgg, and I noted for (at least) one of 'em that
there is allegedly some kind of "adware" built into the firmware of
the device, at some firmware revision levels. According to some of those
reviews, doing a firmware update on the drive removes it. YMMV.

> Well, I googled around and it appears to be the case that LG provides
> this as firmware of some kind on the drive, apparently to provide burn
> software. It is a nuisance and anyway I do not want Windows
> executables (or anything else really) installed on my system without
> me knowing anything about it.
>
> I don't see any way to get this disabled or generally make it go away.
> /proc/mounts shows this line:
>
> /dev/sr0 /media/Bluebirds iso9660
> ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=500,gid=500,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500 0
>
> Could I do a firmware update? suggestions?
>
> Dave
>
> --
> "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick
> society."
>   Krishnamurti

> --

---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------