Re: NetworkManager vs Cacheing nameserver

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 09:54:54 -0500,
  Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > its recursive lookups if not from the DHCP service?
>
> If you want to add the name servers specified by DHCP to lookups,
> then you don't want your resolv.conf file to be unmodified,
> instead you want NM to modify it "correctly", like by
> leaving 127.0.0.1 as one nameserver and adding additional
> nameservers. <sarcasm> How to get NM to do this is no doubt described
> fully in the extensive NetworkManager documentation. </sarcasm>

I don't belive that is correct. I think the fallback servers are for
when a connection to a name server fails. If it returns nxdomain, other
dns servers aren't supposed to be checked.

If you want local A records, then you need a local dns server that returns
information for locally defined domains and does something else (either
forward to another dns server or do iterative lookups using the root zone
hints) for nonlocal domains.