Re: Trouble with graphics on installing Fedora 12 ppc (early PowerMac G4)

Hello,

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 08:31:07 -0500
"William M. Quarles" <walrus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm having trouble with using the Fedora 12 installation CDs on my
> new-old PowerMac G4 that I have acquired. It has a ATI Radeon AGP card
> installed, and I'm using a DVI connection to my monitor.

Do you know what kind of Radeon this is? I think it could be anything
within 7000/7500/8500 models.

> Once I get to
> the graphical install screen, the installation program's box on the
> screen is totally scrambled. The mouse cursor, oddly enough, looks
> perfect. I know that on the i386 distribution I had to use the basic
> video drivers on some of my computers. Is the same true for Fedora 12 on
> the PPC? If so, how do I enable the basic video drivers for
> installation? I've tried booting the installation kernel with "linux
> nomodeset" per a Common F12 bug, but alas nothing different happened.

Try booting the installer with "linux vesa".
Once you've installed F12 successfully, please run "yum update" and
reboot. If the radeon drivers still don't work, please try the
xorg* libdrm* mesa* packages from updates-testing
(yum -y --enablerepo=updates-testing update xorg* libdrm* mesa*).
If these don't solve the problem, please report the bug at
bugzilla.redhat.com after searching for similar issues.