Re: ati drivers f12

On 01/07/2010 07:30 AM, François Patte wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> I have Dell laptop with ati radeon X1200 Series.
>
> With f8, there was an flgrx driver which seems to no mere exists with f12?
>
> Am I right, or did I miss something?

fglrx has been renamed catalyst, and support was dropped for a large
number of older cards (your x1200 and my Mobility X1600 included) in the
newest version.

I know that the nVidia drivers are supported with at least 3 legacy
versions, but I haven't been able to find anyone supporting the legacy
version of fglrx on the newer kernels, which makes it pretty much
worthless (I had no problems with it on F9, but it does not exist for
F11 either).

Try and see if the radeon or radeonhd driver picks up the slack for you.
 They are free open-source drivers and might surprise you.

I am running the radeon driver on my laptop, and the only thing it lacks
is sufficient support to run googleearth properly (trying to run
googleearth with the radeon driver on my hardware locks up machine, solid).

The last time I tried the radeonhd driver, it did not yet have support
for 3D for my Mobility X1600....but that was a while ago.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx