Re: Does anyone else think yumex is broken?

On 01/07/2010 04:08 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

The yum command line tool is great for anyone who wants to see more of
the guts of package management.  However, PackageKit is neither
unreliable nor barely communicating in my experience, and I use it
most of the time in Fedora.
Well, ...

* ... I have occasionally seen PK notifying me about "updates available", but when trying to download/install the updates, it told me "0 updates available"

* ... in recent weeks (last time today) I've seen it forgetting about its reboot notification (I was notified about updates being available, and updated, but haven't rebooted since then - Initially the "reboot notification button" appeared, meanwhile it's gone).

 Yum also has bits that allow it to
communicate with PackageKit when run on the command line.  This system
works quite well.
May-be for you ... I am not excited about PK. A nice idea, but (over-?) ladden with many (IMO) discussworthy/questionable "features".

Ralf