Re: Does anyone else think yumex is broken?

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 07:03:07AM -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:44:42 +0000
> n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>
> > Recently I've found Yumex to be unreliable, getting stuck when trying to
> > do updates. Yet the updates can be made using yum from the command line.
> > Also it seems to take far too long to update the status of RPMs
> > installed and available. Hopefully this will be fixed shortly and I can
> > again feel confidence in yumex.
>
> yumex went to the dark side and broke itself up into two highly
> unreliable barely communicating pieces just like packagekit. I gave
> up on it completely when it did that. I'll stick to the yum command line
> now (where I can at least tell what the heck is going on during
> updates).

The yum command line tool is great for anyone who wants to see more of
the guts of package management.  However, PackageKit is neither
unreliable nor barely communicating in my experience, and I use it
most of the time in Fedora.  Yum also has bits that allow it to
communicate with PackageKit when run on the command line.  This system
works quite well.