Re: NetworkManager vs Cacheing nameserver

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 09:54 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 14:30:02 +0000
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > That seems to be working for the moment, but there's an element of magic
> > in it that makes me nervous. The default named.conf file is set up as a
> > simple cacheing nameserver for local queries, but where does named do
> > its recursive lookups if not from the DHCP service?
>
> If you want to add the name servers specified by DHCP to lookups,
> then you don't want your resolv.conf file to be unmodified,
> instead you want NM to modify it "correctly", like by
> leaving 127.0.0.1 as one nameserver and adding additional
> nameservers. <sarcasm> How to get NM to do this is no doubt described
> fully in the extensive NetworkManager documentation. </sarcasm>

Quite.

> With bind configured as a cacheing server, there is usually
> a "forwarders" section in named.conf that points to the DNS
> servers it should look at.

There isn't. This is the default, unmodified named.conf.

I've now rebooted to check, and /etc/resolv.conf has again been
overwritten by NM, despite the PEERDNS=no line in the ifcfg file, i.e.
it has reverted to what it was. NM seems to be calling dhclient with its
own private config file, the whereabouts of which are non-obvious.

poc