Re: F12/Subversion/httpd -- PROPFIND access denied [Solved]

On 01/02/2010 05:07 AM, Tim wrote:
On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 02:20 -0500, Steven F. LeBrun wrote:

The answer:  mod_evasive (mod_evasive20.so in my case).

The evasive module is designed to stop denial of service attacks.

You have to wonder about that...  (about it being designed to stop them,
instead of create one).  It doesn't sound sensibly configured, by
default, according to your findings.

Though, is your application really making the *same* request that often,
or similar requests.  If it's making the exact same request, that
doesn't sound like a good thing, in itself.

Yes, I am sure that the application, svn (Subversion) in this case, is making three identical requests.  The requests were captured using Wireshark so I was able to see all the bits sent and received.  There are one or two different requests made between each of the identical ones.

Without examining the source code, I cannot say why svn makes the same three requests instead of making it once and caching the data.

--
  Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: "Winter meant the coming of the lazy wind, which couldn't be bothered to blow around people and blew right through them instead."
     -- Terry Pratchett, from "Wyrd Sisters"