Re: Where is WM Player Plug-in (Omega has it)

Marcel Rieux wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Ed Greshko
>

>> In your original post you gave 2 URL's
>>
>> http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://www.radio-canada.ca/emissions/decouverte/2009-2010/archivage.asp
>>
>> The first link leads to videos that are flash.  However, they are not
>> directly played by the flash plugin.  There is a wrapper around it
>> called "v4.1.0.local 2009-09-03 7:59 PM" which appears not compatible
>> with linux.  I cannot play them and I don't have Omega to determine if
>> it can.
>>

> Omega can't play them either. As I can play Flash videos anywhere in
> the world... if the tv broadcaster allows them to go outside the
> county and unless a special home made plug-in is requested such as at
> ABC.
>
> Do you have any idea can possibly be the use of such a wrapper, except
> to prevent Linux from reading the videos?
>

>> The second link contains several other links...which was referenced in
>> Frank Murphy's response...and to which I replied.  Therefore, all of my
>> comments were based on Frank's response and dealt only with the second
>> link.  Those links are not being played by a flash player...but by
>> gecko-mediaplayer.
>>

> If tou go to Prefrences Applications, you see gecko-mediaplayer listed
> for asf, asx and Windows Media??? I doubt it.
>

>> FWIW, I don't have totem installed on my Fedora system.  And, if you
>> look you'd find that gecko-mediaplayer is "mplayer" with a new name.
>>

> "Gecko Media Player is a browser plugin that uses GNOME MPlayer to
> play media in a browser."
>
> http://kdekorte.googlepages.com/gecko-mediaplayer
>
> But, in the Preferences, Applications options, you sometimes have
> mplayer, sometimes Gecko Media Player and sometimes GNOME Media
> Player. If this is all the same, it's rather confusing. There's also a
> MozPlugger option.

From firefox's about:plugins

Windows Media Player Plug-in
    File name: gecko-mediaplayer-wmp.so
    Gecko Media Player 0.9.8

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media
Player streams using MPlayer

MIME Type                               Description     Suffixes     Enabled
application/asx                         Media Files     *
                Yes
video/x-ms-asf-plugin               Media Files     *                 Yes
video/x-msvideo                        AVI               avi,*
           Yes
video/msvideo                           AVI               avi,*
           Yes
application/x-mplayer2              Media Files     *                 Yes
application/x-ms-wmv                Microsoft WMV video     wmv,*     Yes
video/x-ms-asf                           Media Files     asf,asx,*     Yes
video/x-ms-wm                           Media Files     wm,*     Yes
video/x-ms-wmv                         Microsoft WMV video     wmv,*     Yes
audio/x-ms-wmv                         Windows Media     wmv,*     Yes
video/x-ms-wmp                          Windows Media     wmp,*     Yes
application/x-ms-wmp                  Windows Media     wmp,*     Yes
video/x-ms-wvx                            Windows Media     wvx,*     Yes
audio/x-ms-wax                           Windows Media     wax,*     Yes
audio/x-ms-wma                          Windows Media     wma,*     Yes
application/x-drm-v2                    Windows Media     asx,*     Yes
audio/wav                                    Microsoft wave file
wav,*     Yes
audio/x-wav                                 Microsoft wave file
wav,*     Yes

As I said....

Those videos play just fine on my F12 32 bit system.  And mplayer is
being used.

Your choice to believe it or not.

--
Early to rise, early to bed, makes a man healthy, wealthy and dead. --
Terry Pratchett, "The Light Fantastic" Guess Who! http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7