Re: Where is WM Player Plug-in (Omega has it)

Marcel Rieux wrote:

>>> gecko-mediaplayer is not available for playing Windows Media.
>>>

>> It does...with the correct gstreamer-plugins installed....
>>

> I have it installed. It is used for... Flash video!
>

>> I am telling you....those videos run fine on my system.  I only use
>> fedora and rpmfusion repos.
>>

> If all your system is 32 bit, I believe you. Mine worked fine with all
> 64 bit. But i installed Flash 32 bit because of security concerns. I
> don't believe the 64 bit version is patched and I don't like having to
> check all the time because it's not installed by yum.
>

>> The videos are playing on my system using
>> gecko-mediaplayer....regardless of your opinion.
>>

> Here, the slosest math for asf and asx would b epalin mplayer.
> Otherwise, it's MozPlugger.
>
> For Windows media, the closest match would be GNOME MPlayer. Is this
> the same as selection gecko? I don't have any gecko option available
> for Windows Media.
>

>>> Let me guess: all your system is either 32 bit or 64 bit? No
>>> flash-plugin 32 bit on a 64 bit system.
>>>

>> 32
>>

> If it's all 32 bit, that's probably why. Do you use Mplayer or Totem?
> Omega uses Totem, I use Mplayer, which is recommenced by Radio-Canada.
> Mplayer used to work better. Maybe this has changed.
>
> BUT, though I might find a solution, all this is completely
> ridiculous. In the US, Microsoft is under the legislator's eye and
> I've been playing non-stop about 10 videos on... MS-NBC, which uses
> Flash-Player!!!!
>
> Here, in Canada, we're a banana republic. Harper is most probably
> financed by Microsoft. Sometimes, you don't change the settings at all
> and the videos stop playing. After Christmas, I'll see if there is
> anything to do with the opposition parties.
>
> At the CBC, you can't even play Flash, videos!
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows
>
> Hey, that's quite a feat! And no settings are involved in this case.

In your original post you gave 2 URL's

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows

and

http://www.radio-canada.ca/emissions/decouverte/2009-2010/archivage.asp

The first link leads to videos that are flash.  However, they are not
directly played by the flash plugin.  There is a wrapper around it
called "v4.1.0.local 2009-09-03 7:59 PM" which appears not compatible
with linux.  I cannot play them and I don't have Omega to determine if
it can.

The second link contains several other links...which was referenced in
Frank Murphy's response...and to which I replied.  Therefore, all of my
comments were based on Frank's response and dealt only with the second
link.  Those links are not being played by a flash player...but by
gecko-mediaplayer.

FWIW, I don't have totem installed on my Fedora system.  And, if you
look you'd find that gecko-mediaplayer is "mplayer" with a new name.

--
Ever notice that the word "therapist" breaks down into "the rapist"?
Simple coincidence? Maybe... Guess Who! http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7