Re: 8 GB Flash drive formatted at 3.7 GB

Marcel Rieux wrote:
On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Mikkel <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/20/2009 02:29 PM, Marcel Rieux wrote:
Now that i know it's a 4GB drive, I wouldn't format it ext3, but since
it's already formatted ext3 and I don't plan to use it  to exchange
data, I'll leave it as it is.

But, as I said. I still have this problem:

e2fsck -c /dev/sdb
e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
e2fsck: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Dumb question
did you format /dev/sdb or /dev/sdb1?

If you remember well, I said I formatted the drive by right clicking
on the icon.  If you format sdb, an sdb1 partition will be created. If
you don't have a partition, the drive can't be used.

Whatever gave you that idea? If you drop a filesystem on the whole drive and then mount the whole drive, it works fine (at least with tools which assume what you say is what you want). You can use whole drives as members of raid arrays, someone tests that on the raid mailing list regularly. ;-)

The requirement is that you use it where you made it.

I remember you
saying you have a partition on the drive, so I suspect you will have
better luck running "e2fsck -c /dev/sdb1".

The man page does say:

e2fsck - check a Linux ext2/ext3/ext4 file system

A file system is not a device. So, the filesystem -- here sdb1 -- must
be specified.

A file system is on a device, partitions are devices too. Try "ls -l /dev/sda*" and look at the first letter, all block devices.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>