Re: 8 GB Flash drive formatted at 3.7 GB

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Mikkel <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/20/2009 02:29 PM, Marcel Rieux wrote:
>>
>> Now that i know it's a 4GB drive, I wouldn't format it ext3, but since
>> it's already formatted ext3 and I don't plan to use it  to exchange
>> data, I'll leave it as it is.
>>
>> But, as I said. I still have this problem:
>>
>> e2fsck -c /dev/sdb
>> e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
>> e2fsck: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
>> e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb
>>
>> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
>> filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
>> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
>> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
>> superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>>
> Dumb question
> did you format /dev/sdb or /dev/sdb1?

If you remember well, I said I formatted the drive by right clicking
on the icon.  If you format sdb, an sdb1 partition will be created. If
you don't have a partition, the drive can't be used.

> I remember you
> saying you have a partition on the drive, so I suspect you will have
> better luck running "e2fsck -c /dev/sdb1".

The man page does say:

e2fsck - check a Linux ext2/ext3/ext4 file system

A file system is not a device. So, the filesystem -- here sdb1 -- must
be specified.

Which, according to .bash_history, I did yesterday (I know from other
commands around it). If the drive is mounted or if you're not root,
messages explain the problem.

Why it didn't work is beyond me.

For now, I'll say "case closed".

Thanks for your dumb comment!