Re: How to remove language packs from thunderbird

Frank Cox wrote:
On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 12:48 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
When I bring up thunderbird as a normal user it lists a large number
of languages available.  I only need 2 languages, how do I remove the
ones I don't need?

I just delete all of the langpack-* files in /usr/lib/firefox*
or /usr/lib64/firefox*

 but when I bring up thunderbird as a regular user after removing the
language packs as root they are still present.

I don't use thunderbird, but once I have removed the langpacks from
firefox as described above, they are gone in firefox.

Here is a script I keep in /root/bin/unlang which works just fine for
both thunderbird and firefox.  As written, it preserves the langpack-fr
(French) directory.  Adjust as you see fit.  The only undesired side
effect is that subsequent updates will always require downloading the
complete RPM because the missing files cause the delta RPM rebuild to
fail.  (The failover to full download is automatic.)

    #!/bin/bash
    if [ -n "$1" ]; then
        cd "$1" || exit
    fi
    case "$PWD" in
    */extensions)
        ;;
    *)
        cd "$PWD/extensions" || exit;;
    esac
    dirs="$(ls -d langpack-* | grep -v '^langpack-fr' | tr '\n' ' ')"
    if [ -z "$dirs" ]; then
        echo "${0##*/}: Nothing to do" >&2
        exit 1
    fi
    echo "Removing: $dirs"
    read -p 'OK [yN]? '
    [ "$REPLY" = y -o "$REPLY" = Y ] && rm -r $dirs

                Do NOT delete it.