Re: Fedora 12: No flash plugin

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 21:50 +0100, Simon Schneebeli wrote:
> On 12/14/2009 09:38 PM, Craig White wrote:

> >> Nothing at all.

> >> I know. I'm used to sudo, but I guess that on Fedora I first have to
> >> install something because right now I just get
> >> [simon@sangam ~]$ sudo yum repolist
> >> [sudo] password for simon:
> >> Sorry, try again.
> >> [sudo] password for simon:
> >> simon is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
> >> [simon@sangam ~]$
> >>
> >> Just didn't had time yet to find out how to add myself to the sudoers list.

> >> That looks quite much like what I need right now to get familiar with
> >> Fedora. Many thanks.
> >>
> > ----
> > just use 'su -' in a shell to become root for now.
> >
> > as root, 'yum repolist' should be very revealing as to what is installed
> > for repositories.
> >
> > sudoers is another level of complexity to deal with that won't solve
> > this problem.
> >
> > recognize that sites like fedorasolved.org and mjmwired.com (apparently
> > used in dnsmouse.org) will advocate things that work but are not
> > necessarily interchangeable with other advice that might be given on the
> > list here. I'm not saying that their advice isn't good but getting
> > advice from different places will sometimes have different and confusing
> > results.
> >
> > Sometimes the answers on this list will come from various people with
> > various levels of understanding that will become confusing to new users
> > with no ability to sort out who is giving the most targeted advice.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> You'll probably consider me as a fool, but if I enter 'su yum repolist',
> I just get the following:
>
> [simon@sangam ~]$ su yum repolist
> su: user yum does not exist
>
> But I'm trying hard to learn. I'm currently searching infos on how to
> use "su" properly...
----
if you want to run 'one liners' you have to do it like this...

su - -c 'yum repolist'

# note the following two lines is one command...
su - -c 'rpm -ivh \
http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm'

su - -c 'rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux'

but I will tell you - just 'su -' to root (note the dash) and then
you've got root shell until you type 'exit'

It's easier to be root in a shell to perform root actions like
installing, etc.

Craig

believed to be clean.