Re: Fedora 12: No flash plugin

On 12/14/2009 09:38 PM, Craig White wrote:
On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 21:30 +0100, Simon Schneebeli wrote:
On 12/14/2009 09:22 PM, Frank Murphy (Frankly3D) wrote:
On 14/12/09 20:11, Simon Schneebeli wrote:

--snipped--

[root@sangam simon]# yum install flash-plugin
Loaded plugins: presto, protectbase, refresh-packagekit
0 packages excluded due to repository protections
Setting up Install Process
No package flash-plugin available.
Nothing to do

--snipped--

What does
# yum repolist    say?

Nothing at all.
try use su\sudo instead of root if possible.

I know. I'm used to sudo, but I guess that on Fedora I first have to
install something because right now I just get
[simon@sangam ~]$ sudo yum repolist
[sudo] password for simon:
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for simon:
simon is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
[simon@sangam ~]$

Just didn't had time yet to find out how to add myself to the sudoers list.

If completely confused just use autoten
http://dnmouse.org

That looks quite much like what I need right now to get familiar with
Fedora. Many thanks.
----
just use 'su -' in a shell to become root for now.

as root, 'yum repolist' should be very revealing as to what is installed
for repositories.

sudoers is another level of complexity to deal with that won't solve
this problem.

recognize that sites like fedorasolved.org and mjmwired.com (apparently
used in dnsmouse.org) will advocate things that work but are not
necessarily interchangeable with other advice that might be given on the
list here. I'm not saying that their advice isn't good but getting
advice from different places will sometimes have different and confusing
results.

Sometimes the answers on this list will come from various people with
various levels of understanding that will become confusing to new users
with no ability to sort out who is giving the most targeted advice.

Craig

You'll probably consider me as a fool, but if I enter 'su yum repolist', I just get the following:

[simon@sangam ~]$ su yum repolist
su: user yum does not exist

But I'm trying hard to learn. I'm currently searching infos on how to use "su" properly...

Simon