RE: Using USB devices in VMs under KVM fc11 or fc12

From: Tom Horsley
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:42 AM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Using USB devices in VMs under KVM fc11 or fc12

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:16:24 -0700
Greg Woods wrote:

> What confuses me is that on my Centos 5/Xen boxes, "eth0" has the
> regular IP address, there is another pseudo-device called "peth0" which
> is what is seen in virt-manager, and the bridge configuration appears to
> be much more complicated.

All part of the primary linux philosophy of completely changing everything
anytime there is a chance that anyone might have figured out the existing
way things work :-).

On my system, I turn off NetworkManager and build (by hand) a ifcfg-br0
script to define the bridge, and make ifcfg-eth0 part of the bridge, moving
all IPADDR and such parameters to the bridge.

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualization-with-kvm-on-a-fedora-11-server

was the source of all my info on getting bridge to work.

One other thing - if you use iptables, and you have any rules
that explicitly mention the eth0 interface, you'll probably need
to change them to mention br0 instead, or your firewall won't be
doing what you think it is doing.