Re: Using USB devices in VMs under KVM fc11 or fc12

On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 17:55 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Sunday 06 December 2009 16:11:11 Greg Woods wrote:
> > I'm guessing I could set up a VM that has a real IP address rather than
> > using NAT
> In VirtualBox you set this up as follows:
>
> * open VirtualBox
> * open the settings window for your VM
> * go to "network", open the appropriate "adapter" tab (typically the first
> one)
> * set the "attached to" setting to "bridged adapter"
> * click "OK"

This worked, and I am finally able to sync my Palm via a virtual
machine. Now I need to figure out how to do this for KVM. This appears
to be more difficult than either VirtualBox or Xen, as the virt-manager
doesn't create the necessary bridged devices automatically for this to
work, so I am going to have to figure out how to do it manually. I have
Googled for this but the instructions I found didn't work. As soon as I
add the "eth0" to one of my bridge devices, regular networking for the
host OS stops working. Obviously I am just missing something. I am going
to have to find a tuturial somewhere on how bridging actually works in
order to figure this out.

--Greg