Re: Booting sparkly new F12 install, error 13 from grub.

Tom H wrote:
Resend as there has been no reply, with added info.

I finally said to hell with it and let F12 install itself on /dev/sdb
with all its defaults.

I was surprised on the reboot when my usual grub menu from
/dev/sda was all that showed up, no mention of an F12 install at all.

Added: I had it install everything in the options list, but gave it only
/dev/sdb to play with in the available disks menu's, & use the defaults on
/dev/sdb, so it made a  100 meg /boot, using ext4, and a logical volume out
of the rest of the drive.  I have NDI how to query the filesystem used there,
other than trying to mount /dev/sdb1 as ext3 fails.

So, since I had blown away a centos install to put F12 on /dev/sdb, I
carved up a fresh grub stanza that reads like this and added it to
/dev/sda1/grub/grub.conf:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sdb3
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=19
fallback=1
timeout=15
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

[...]

#21 new stanza
title   Fedora 12 (2.6.31.6-162.fc12.x86_64 from dev/sdb)
       root (hd1,0)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.31.6-162.fc12.x86_64 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_coyote-
lv_root  LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc
KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
       initrd /initramfs-2.6.31.6-162.fc12.x86_64.img

which is in fact pasted from the /dev/sdb1/grub/grub.conf except for the
initial "root (hd1,0)" statement.

So it looks as if I might have to 'chainloader +1 ' it instead, so how
do I do that?  I've never done that before.

Also, that /dev/sdb1 partition only mounts as ext4 if that is important.

Added: I experimentally added a 'chainloader+1' as the next line after the
root (hd1,0) in the /dev/sda1/grub/grub.conf, but all that seemed to do was
add another 10 second delay before I get the error 13 message.  I would have
thought from what little I know about grub, that this should force a reload,
effectively a grub restart, from the mbr of /dev/sdb.  Is there something I
need to change in the /dev/sdb1/grub/grub.conf also?

Chainloading will not work because F12 defaults to grub1, which cannot
boot from an ext4 /boot.

You are almost right. The F12 version of grub1 will boot from ext4, Gene's problem is that his installed graub is F11, which will not. I couldn't reproduce this because I always set my /boot to ext2, which always works fine.

Fastest solution seems to lie in backup, change to ext3, restore, and use of either map or chain should work fine.

Your F12 stanza looks OK (I have never used so many options but why not?).

Is your /boot/grub/device.map on /dev/sda associating (hd1) to /dev/sdb?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>