Re: Booting sparkly new F12 install, error 13 from grub.

On Wednesday 09 December 2009, Tom H wrote:
>> Resend as there has been no reply, with added info.
>>
>> I finally said to hell with it and let F12 install itself on /dev/sdb
>> with all its defaults.
>>
>> I was surprised on the reboot when my usual grub menu from
>> /dev/sda was all that showed up, no mention of an F12 install at all.
>>
>> Added: I had it install everything in the options list, but gave it only
>> /dev/sdb to play with in the available disks menu's, & use the defaults
>> on /dev/sdb, so it made a  100 meg /boot, using ext4, and a logical
>> volume out of the rest of the drive.  I have NDI how to query the
>> filesystem used there, other than trying to mount /dev/sdb1 as ext3
>> fails.
>>
>> So, since I had blown away a centos install to put F12 on /dev/sdb, I
>> carved up a fresh grub stanza that reads like this and added it to
>> /dev/sda1/grub/grub.conf:
>>
>> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
>> #
>> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
>> file # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
>> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
>> #          root (hd0,0)
>> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sdb3
>> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
>> #boot=/dev/sda
>> default=19
>> fallback=1
>> timeout=15
>> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> #21 new stanza
>> title   Fedora 12 (2.6.31.6-162.fc12.x86_64 from dev/sdb)
>>        root (hd1,0)
>>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.31.6-162.fc12.x86_64 ro
>> root=/dev/mapper/vg_coyote- lv_root  LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>> SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
>>        initrd /initramfs-2.6.31.6-162.fc12.x86_64.img
>>
>> which is in fact pasted from the /dev/sdb1/grub/grub.conf except for the
>> initial "root (hd1,0)" statement.
>>
>> So it looks as if I might have to 'chainloader +1 ' it instead, so how
>> do I do that?  I've never done that before.
>>
>> Also, that /dev/sdb1 partition only mounts as ext4 if that is important.
>>
>> Added: I experimentally added a 'chainloader+1' as the next line after
>> the root (hd1,0) in the /dev/sda1/grub/grub.conf, but all that seemed to
>> do was add another 10 second delay before I get the error 13 message.  I
>> would have thought from what little I know about grub, that this should
>> force a reload, effectively a grub restart, from the mbr of /dev/sdb.  Is
>> there something I need to change in the /dev/sdb1/grub/grub.conf also?
>
>Chainloading will not work because F12 defaults to grub1, which cannot
>boot from an ext4 /boot.

Interesting...  Because I did get it to boot by swapping the drives around in
the bios.  Then  I had to swap them back to reboot F10.  AND that boot
partition will not mount using ext3 as the filesystem, ONLY ext4.  Needless
to say, this does not grok.  You are saying I can't boot from an ext4 boot,
but I just did for about 3 hours.  Interestingly, fdisk says its a type 83
filesystem.

>Your F12 stanza looks OK (I have never used so many options but why not?).
>
>Is your /boot/grub/device.map on /dev/sda associating (hd1) to /dev/sdb?

Yes.  On both drives.

Side comment re F12.  I did verify that a uname -a indicates an SMP kernel,
and quite a recent one at that.  But one thing is extremely, slap you in the
face with a 2x4 obvious.  F12, when I had it running, isn't a bit
multitasking friendly.  While I had whatever package manager running to
install another gig of stuff, the system was all but locked up for many
minutes at a time when I attempted to do some other configuring too.

This F10 install, running a 2.6.32 SMP 32 bit kernel is quite easily 20x-100x
faster!  This is, after all, a 4 core phenom even if its only running at 2.2
GHZ.

Also, in the FWIW category, I do not have to screw with the disk order in the
bios to get the 64 bit mandriva-2009.1 to boot from /dev/sdd.  I just
verified again that it works just fine about 20 minutes ago.  All it takes is
a 'root (hd3,0)' statement in my grub.conf.

So there is 2 things that are AFAIK, busted in F12.
1.  It won't boot w/o playing in the bios so its booting from (hd0,0)
2.  It is so slow I'd swear it was running on a 66mhz pentium with only 64
megs of ram.

If anyone has any clues to item 1 above so I don't have to use up the flash
counts in my bios to boot it, please speak up.  Once that's done, I'll see if
building a 64 bit 2.6.32 kernel helps the speed.

Thanks all.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

The perfect lover is one who turns into a pizza at 4:00 A.M.
		-- Charles Pierce