Re: F12 Boot error message re mount of loop device

On Wednesday 09 December 2009 18:59:19 Bill Davidsen wrote:
> David wrote:
> > During boot I want to mount an iso9660 file as a loop device. The iso
> > file is on a ext3 partition labelled HUGE_01 which is mounted at
> > /mnt/huge.
> >
> > FILE = /mnt/huge/get/iso/Fedora-12-i386-DVD/Fedora-12-i386-DVD.iso
> > MOUNTPOINT = /mnt/Fedora-12-i386-DVD.
> >
> > The mount succeeds. However during boot I get this unnecessary failure
> > message:
> >
> > Mounting local filesystems: [ OK ]
> > [snip]
> > Mounting other filesystems:  mount: according to mtab
> > /mnt/huge/get/iso/Fedora-12-i386-DVD/Fedora-12-i386-DVD.iso is already
> > mounted on /mnt/Fedora-12-i386-DVD as loop  [ FAILED ]

The proper question is why do you mount it twice? If it should be
automatically mounted at boot, the fstab entry should be enough. However, it
seems that you or the system is trying to mount it again later during boot.
You need to locate where in the boot process is this happening. What messages
are between the two tries? IOW, what is in the [snip] part?

> > [f12@kablamm ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
> > LABEL=kablamm_C		/                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> > LABEL=kablamm_Z		/boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
> > LABEL=BIG_01		/mnt/big                ext3    defaults        1 2
> > LABEL=HUGE_01		/mnt/huge               ext3    defaults        1 2
> > LABEL=kablamm_H		/home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> > LABEL=kablamm_S		swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> > tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0
> > 0 devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
> > 0 0 sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults
> >   0 0 proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults
> >     0 0
> > /mnt/huge/get/iso/Fedora-12-i386-DVD/Fedora-12-i386-DVD.iso	/mnt/Fedora-1
> >2-i386-DVD	iso9660	loop,ro,gid=share 0 0

This looks ok.

If you cannot find the place where the second mount is being attempted, maybe
adding the "noauto" option along with "loop,ro,gid=share" might help --- the
DVD will not get mounted on the first try, so maybe this can be a workaround.

> There's a secret way to do this, called "man fstab." Those numbers at the
>  end of the line are not random, they control the mounting order.

This is completely wrong. Those numbers have nothing to do with mount order.
Bill, you are the one who needs to read man fstab, not the OP. ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko