Re: Booting sparkly new F12 install, error 13 from grub.

On Wednesday 09 December 2009, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greets;
>>
>> Resend as there has been no reply, with added info.
>>
>> I finally said to hell with it and let F12 install itself on /dev/sdb
>> with all its defaults.
>>
>> I was surprised on the reboot when my usual grub menu from
>> /dev/sda was all that showed up, no mention of an F12 install at all.
>>
>> Added: I had it install everything in the options list, but gave it only
>> /dev/sdb to play with in the available disks menu's, & use the defaults
>> on /dev/sdb, so it made a  100 meg /boot, using ext4, and a logical
>> volume out of the rest of the drive.  I have NDI how to query the
>> filesystem used there, other than trying to mount /dev/sdb1 as ext3
>> fails.
>>
>> So, since I had blown away a centos install to put F12 on /dev/sdb, I
>> carved up a fresh grub stanza that reads like this and added it to
>> /dev/sda1/grub/grub.conf:
>>
>> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
>> #
>> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
>> file # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
>> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
>> #          root (hd0,0)
>> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sdb3
>> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
>> #boot=/dev/sda
>> default=19
>> fallback=1
>> timeout=15
>> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> #21 new stanza
>> title	Fedora 12 (2.6.31.6-162.fc12.x86_64 from dev/sdb)
>> 	root (hd1,0)
>> 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.31.6-162.fc12.x86_64 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_coyote-
>> lv_root  LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc
>> KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
>> 	initrd /initramfs-2.6.31.6-162.fc12.x86_64.img
>>
>> which is in fact pasted from the /dev/sdb1/grub/grub.conf except for the
>> initial "root (hd1,0)" statement.
>>
>> So it looks as if I might have to 'chainloader +1 ' it instead, so how
>> do I do that?  I've never done that before.
>>
>> Also, that /dev/sdb1 partition only mounts as ext4 if that is important.
>>
>> Added: I experimentally added a 'chainloader+1' as the next line after
>> the root (hd1,0) in the /dev/sda1/grub/grub.conf, but all that seemed to
>> do was add another 10 second delay before I get the error 13 message.  I
>> would have thought from what little I know about grub, that this should
>> force a reload, effectively a grub restart, from the mbr of /dev/sdb.  Is
>> there something I need to change in the /dev/sdb1/grub/grub.conf also?
>
>If you don't get an answer sooner, when I go to the part of the building
> where my laptop sits I'll check the stanza I used, as it still has a
> fallback fc10 present. In the meantime, you can try booting off sdb, using
> (typically) the F12 key to enter the boot manager. I suspect the boot info
> [...]

Well, according to the files present on /dev/sdb1, grub is installed.  I
tried the chainloader+1, didn't work, now I'm about to reboot and try the map
syntax to swap the bios drive orders.

Thanks Bill.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"You are WRONG, you ol' brass-breasted fascist poop!"
-- Bloom County