Re: Booting sparkly new F12 install, error 13 from grub.

Gene Heskett wrote:
Greets;

Resend as there has been no reply, with added info.

I finally said to hell with it and let F12 install itself on /dev/sdb
with all its defaults.

I was surprised on the reboot when my usual grub menu from
/dev/sda was all that showed up, no mention of an F12 install at all.

Added: I had it install everything in the options list, but gave it only /dev/sdb to play with in the available disks menu's, & use the defaults on /dev/sdb, so it made a 100 meg /boot, using ext4, and a logical volume out of the rest of the drive. I have NDI how to query the filesystem used there, other than trying to mount /dev/sdb1 as ext3 fails.

So, since I had blown away a centos install to put F12 on /dev/sdb, I
carved up a fresh grub stanza that reads like this and added it to
/dev/sda1/grub/grub.conf:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sdb3
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=19
fallback=1
timeout=15
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

[...]

#21 new stanza
title	Fedora 12 (2.6.31.6-162.fc12.x86_64 from dev/sdb)
	root (hd1,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.31.6-162.fc12.x86_64 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_coyote-
lv_root LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
	initrd /initramfs-2.6.31.6-162.fc12.x86_64.img

which is in fact pasted from the /dev/sdb1/grub/grub.conf except for the
initial "root (hd1,0)" statement.

So it looks as if I might have to 'chainloader +1 ' it instead, so how
do I do that?  I've never done that before.

Also, that /dev/sdb1 partition only mounts as ext4 if that is important.

Added: I experimentally added a 'chainloader+1' as the next line after the
root (hd1,0) in the /dev/sda1/grub/grub.conf, but all that seemed to do was add another 10 second delay before I get the error 13 message. I would have thought from what little I know about grub, that this should force a reload, effectively a grub restart, from the mbr of /dev/sdb. Is there something I need to change in the /dev/sdb1/grub/grub.conf also?

If you don't get an answer sooner, when I go to the part of the building where my laptop sits I'll check the stanza I used, as it still has a fallback fc10 present. In the meantime, you can try booting off sdb, using (typically) the F12 key to enter the boot manager. I suspect the boot info is in the MBR of sdb.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>