Re: Cron Monthly abnormality in FC12

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 08:34:52 Joerg Bergmann wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 08.12.2009, 07:59 -0500 schrieb Tom Horsley:
> > On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:14:49 +0000
> > Or even more effective is moving everything out of /etc/anacrontab
> > to explicit entries in /etc/crontab to effectively completely disable
> > the utterly worthless anacron and make all the cron jobs more reliable.
>
> On server machines, anacron is worthless indeed. On desktop machines,
> it may be useful

Example of where anacron is very useful:
I use anacron to do incremental backup of our laptops by rsync files to the my
fileserver once or twice a day (which in turn gets backed up regularly daily).
This way I don't even need to remember to back up the laptop manually. When
the laptop is on, anacron run my backup script when necessary, which checks
for network connection, and do incremental back up.

RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja
Dept. Physics and Astronomy