Re: Cron Monthly abnormality in FC12

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:14:49 +0000
Simon Andrews wrote:

> I'd suggest you remove this job from cron.monthly and put an explicit
> entry into /etc/crontab which delivers your calendars on the first of
> the month.

Or even more effective is moving everything out of /etc/anacrontab
to explicit entries in /etc/crontab to effectively completely disable
the utterly worthless anacron and make all the cron jobs more reliable.

I've got this script I wrote running on a hook after every yum
command:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Drive a stake through anacron's heart if updates try to
# reinstall it.
#
for i in /etc/cron.d/0hourly /etc/cron.hourly/0anacron /etc/anacrontab
do
   if [ -s $i ]
   then
      cat /dev/null > $i
   fi
   rm -f $i.rpmnew
   rm -f $i.rpmsave
done

It is very effective at making anacron stop "helping" me.