Re: F12: Installing OpenMPI-devel doesn't put mpi* compiler in the PATH

On Sunday 06 December 2009 18:47:54 Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 18:32 -0500, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Does anyone know why installing openmpi and openmpi-devel does not put
> > the mpiCC, mpicc, and mpif90 compiler wrapper in the PATH ?
> > This is on F12.
>
> This has to do with the new MPI packaging guidelines. Different MPI
> compilers may have e.g. runtime librariess that possess the same names
> (for instance libmpi.so), and running an application compiled against
> Open MPI with the mpirun of mpich2 just results in a crash.

Thanks for the info. This is actually good. I've actually been using module
environment on the cluster but never actually set those up myself. I just
didn't realize F12 is moving in that direction too. I am trying to get my code
to compile locally on my workstation for development / debugging. Having
module environment on F12 is actually good because I'm just thinking about
setting up different MPI & compilers to try. Now I just need to learn how to
use and set up those modules. Thanks again for the info.

RDB