Re: F12: Installing OpenMPI-devel doesn't put mpi* compiler in the PATH

On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 18:32 -0500, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> Hello,
> Does anyone know why installing openmpi and openmpi-devel does not put the
> mpiCC, mpicc, and mpif90 compiler wrapper in the PATH ?
> This is on F12.
>
> On my previous F10, installing openmpi-devel sets the following symlinks, for
> example:
> /usr/bin/mpif90 -> /etc/alternatives/mpif90
> /etc/alternatives/mpif90 -> /usr/bin/opal_wrapper-1.2.4-gcc-64
> which resulted to have mpi* compiler wrappers to be in the path.
>
> After some poking around, I found that in F12, these compiler wrappers are in
> /usr/lib64/openmpi/bin, but they are not in the PATH. I wonder why this is the
> case, and if it's intentional or a (minor) bug.

This has to do with the new MPI packaging guidelines. Different MPI
compilers may have e.g. runtime librariess that possess the same names
(for instance libmpi.so), and running an application compiled against
Open MPI with the mpirun of mpich2 just results in a crash.

This is the reason why MPI compilers and runtimes (and the stuff that is
compiled against them) are now hidden from each other in Fedora. The
implementation was done with environment modules that are core utilities
on clusters and supercomputers. The management is done on user-level on
a session basis.

To use the compiler, just run
$ module load openmpi-x86_64
on x86_64 and
$ module load openmpi-i686
on x86 to get Open MPI working again.

If you want Open MPI to be usable permanently, just put the command in
your shell profile.

If you have Open MPI support loaded, you can also get rid of it with
$ module unload openmpi-x86_64
and switch to MPICH2 with
$ module load mpich2-x86_64

This is an another thing that was not possible with the alternatives
system that was previously used.

PS. RHEL 4 and 5 solved the MPI problem a year ago or so in a different
way with mpi-selector.

--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor