Re: Getting rid of /boot

On Sunday 06 December 2009, Marc Wilson wrote:
>On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>> I need to install F12 here at some point, and it sure would be a hell of
>> a lot easier if F10 had enough libraries installed to run gparted to
>> prepare a drive the way _I_ want it and tell anaconda to go pound sand.
>>  For instance, why will it not accept a /boot partition specified for
>> more than 199 megabytes?
>>
>> Why will it not accept a separate /root partition?
>>
>> Why will it not accept a separate /var partition?
>>
>> Or a separate /etc partition?
>
>I did all of those things with the *installer*.  IMHO if you've
>already decided you need to use gparted before you get started, you're
>part of the problem, not the solution.

I sincerely don't believe so Marc, so I'm going to call your bluff a wee bit.

If and when fedora actually gives us a working partitioning tool that doesn't
suffer from the entirely false limitations imposed by fedora, I'll use it.

But when I move a fedora install with rsync -avc to a drive partitioned the
way I want it, and its at least 2x faster when done, then something is very
seriously broken in the fedora approved version.  And that IS the end of the
discussion at this campfire gathering.

If you know how to make the 'installer' partition a drive according to your
wishes without its refusing to accept say a 400 Mbyte /boot partition, or
demanding that /root & /var MUST live on /, then please write up a
downloadable, printable PDF on how to do that since that data to guide one
around the fedora imposed toll gates is not available during the install.  Do
so, let us know where it can be pulled from and I will gladly, gleefully kill
a tree.  And should we ever meet, the first 3 are on me. ;)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Let me put it this way: today is going to be a learning experience.