Re: Getting rid of /boot

On Saturday 05 December 2009, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>On Sat, 2009-12-05 at 19:30 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >Well, nothing (unless it's on a partition that has to be formatted for
>> >an install, like /).
>> >
>> >And I've never had that problem.  If /home is a separate LV, in
>> >Anaconda, select the PV with the /home LV inside it.  You'll have to
>> >reset the mount points for all the LVs (an annoyance, to be sure, that I
>> >wish could be fixed), but you don't have to format /home (or /opt,
>> >or /usr/local, etc.) if it is a separate LV (or if it's on a separate
>> >partition).
>>
>> I also tried that once, and convinced it I didn't want it formatted,
>> about FC6 I think.  It bought it I thought, till I found it had made a
>> /home directory on /, the proceeded to write the new /home with its
>> defaults.  I took a bit of detective work to ascertain that my /home
>> partition still existed, but wasn't ever used and was not in /etc/fstab
>> as a separate entry. Dumb was NOT my comment when I found that.
>
>There's always a /home directory on the root filesystem.

Of course.

>If you have a
>separate /home filesystem, the /home directory on the root filesystem is
>the mount point for the /home filesystem.  If the instruction to mount
>your /home filesystem on the /home directory is not in /etc/fstab, it's
>because you didn't set the mount point for that filesystem (whether it's
>a partition or a LV) during installation.

ISTR I did,  but could be wrong, its quite a ways back up the log by now, so
I'll plead oldtimers.  Since I retired at 67 and I've been collecting SS for
8 years already, that isn't too much of a stretch. :)

> (Not that it's clear you need
>to do that during installation...  If you know *nix filesystem
>structure, you know what's needed, but if not, it's not clear how you
>find out.  I did a fair amount of reading when I first installed RHL
>3.0.3!)

Chuckle, that beats me, my first install was RH5.0.

I need to install F12 here at some point, and it sure would be a hell of a
lot easier if F10 had enough libraries installed to run gparted to prepare a
drive the way _I_ want it and tell anaconda to go pound sand.  For instance,
why will it not accept a /boot partition specified for more than 199
megabytes?

Why will it not accept a separate /root partition?

Why will it not accept a separate /var partition?

Or a separate /etc partition?

When I lost my boot drive about a month ago, I used gparted to set a drive up
the way my experience said it should be, then rsync'd everything to the new
partitions, fixed the new drives fstab to use the labels I put on with
gparted, moved the drive to the sata0 connector figuring I could boot the F10
dvd in the rescue mode and do a grub-install.  But my F10 dvd had faded, so I
had to get a friend to dl and burn me a fresh copy, which I then used to
install grub.  On the reboot I was back to a fully working F10, with one very
noticeable difference, the machine is now 2-3x faster.  And has remained so.

All those separate partitions that the installer won't let you do?  I'll let
a df report testify.
[root@coyote .kde]# df
/dev/sda3            100790036   9356348  86313776  10% /
/dev/sda1               404470    177420    206168  47% /boot
/dev/sda5             30233896   8013188  20684896  28% /opt
/dev/sda6             30233896   3822808  24875276  14% /home
/dev/sda7             30233896  10849192  17848892  38% /root
/dev/sda8             30233896   4082168  24615916  15% /var
/dev/sda9             30233896    193824  28504260   1% /tmp
/dev/sda10           704924448  91152808 577963560  14% /usr

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Don't suspect your friends -- turn them in!
		-- "Brazil"