Re: Getting rid of /boot

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 16:45 -0800, Marc Wilson wrote:
On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I had understood the complexity to be the separate /boot not the use of lvm...
Actually, the complexity is that Fedora for some insane reason still
defaults to using LVM for everything *other* than /boot.  This brings
no benefit to most users.

Well, it means I can have separate filesystems for things that I don't
want overwritten if I reinstall (/home, /usr/local, /opt, /var/www,
etc.) and I can dynamically resize them if they get unbalanced.  That's
pretty useful.

Someone else mentioned the limited number of physical and logical
partitions.  If you want separate partitions for those systems and for,
say, separate system and user data on a dual-boot machine with Windows,
and multiboot, and a diagnostics partition, those partitions can get
used up pretty quickly.

Have a big /boot and you can have many kernels available. During the 2.5 development cycles, between 2.4, 2.5, -ac, -mm, -aa, etc kernels I hit the limit of LILO to support more than 19 (from memory) kernels.

Sane people don't have these problems.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>