Re: Getting rid of /boot

On Sat, 2009-12-05 at 13:43 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
> >> Actually, the complexity is that Fedora for some insane reason still
> >> defaults to using LVM for everything *other* than /boot.  This brings
> >> no benefit to most users.
> >>

> > Well, it means I can have separate filesystems for things that I don't
> > want overwritten if I reinstall (/home, /usr/local, /opt, /var/www,
> > etc.)
>
> That's only 4, or 7 with / , /boot and swap.
> How do you get up to 15?

I don't (for systems with just one Linux installed).  Add Windows (two
partitions if you want separate system and data disks) and another *nix
OS, though, and you're pressing the limit.

> In any case, the default partitioning doesn't give you 15 partitions,
> so this seems an odd reason for recommending it.

I don't recommend the default because it dumps everything into a
single / filesystem, so reinstalling wipes out things that I'd want to
preserve.

I tend to use LVM for flexibility resizing.  I don't spread LVs across
devices though.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences